Full-Time Legal Assistant
Full-time 12-month contract
BEUC, the European Consumer Organisation, is looking for a legal assistant to work on EU legal issues relevant to consumers to assist the BEUC Secretariat and our members in campaigning to influence EU legislation and policies.
The duties of the Legal Assistant would include the following:
- support the consumer rights and enforcement teams on all aspects of EU consumer law and in particular with regards to the review of the consumer law acquis (‘New Deal for Consumers’);
- draft reports on internal and external meetings;
- gather data, articles and studies on issues related to consumer rights, in particular with regards to the review of the consumer law acquis;
- collect and compile BEUC members’ comments, articles and other information when consultation with BEUC members takes place;
- monitor policy developments;
- assist in drafting position papers and annual monitoring reports;
- organise internal and external meetings and conferences.
The main qualifications we are looking for are:
- a master’s degree in law;
- a minimum of 1-year work experience;
- good (working) knowledge of the EU institutions;
- good communications skills;
- an understanding of consumer issues and a commitment to advancing the interests of consumers;
- very good English required, French an asset;
- excellent English writing skills required;
- interest in European consumer protection;
- interest in public policy and advocacy.
- a multidisciplinary and multicultural working environment within an organisation dedicated to the promotion of European consumer interests;
- a non-routine job implying research and action in several topics related to legal interests of consumers in the EU;
- networking opportunities with numerous organisations in the 28 Member States;
- a full-time 12-month fixed term contract with a competitive package (salary, fringe benefits and extra-legal paid leave).
Applications for the position should be sent by 08 April 2018 by e-mail to email@example.com with subject line: Legal Assistant.
The first round of interviews will take place the week of 16 April.
For immediate entry into function.
Please note that due to the volume of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Your application should include the following documents (with your name as title):
- A short motivation letter;
- A detailed curriculum-vitae;
- In a separate file, answers to the following questions:
- Why would you like to work at BEUC?
- Briefly explain the main reasons that motivate you to work at BEUC, using maximum 150 words.
- Why should BEUC appoint you?
- Tell us why you think we should appoint you rather than other candidates, using maximum 150 words.
- What are, according to your analysis, the most important legal reforms the EU should undertake to protect consumers.
- Using maximum 250 words.
Any incomplete application will be disregarded.
If you are interested in this position, you might want to learn more about EU consumer law and policies. You can do it by applying to Consumer Champion e-learning courses. Choose your topic of interest and follow the course in your language, at your own pace.
BEUC applies a workplace diversity policy.
How to ApplyApplications for the position should be sent by 08 April 2018 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Legal Assistant.
135 total views, 2 today