Full-Time UNIX System Administrator/Engineer
UNIX System Administrator/Engineer
Looking for a new challenge in a scientific environment?
Join the ESRF, the European Synchrotron!
The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international research facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
We are currently seeking to recruit a UNIX System Administrator/Engineer, Time-limited position (3 years maximum), Ref. COD/DAAS.
The Systems & Communication Group of the ESRF is deeply involved in developing Data Analysis As a Service (DAAS) within an international project.
Within a team of 9 people, this position will focus on implementing a pilot service for DAAS through the deployment of an infrastructure including access to data, working together with scientific software developers to implement the first steps and interacting with users to provide support.
To achieve the project, you will also be involved in:
- The operation of high-performance infrastructures required for data acquisition, processing and storage of experimental data from fast detectors;
- The delivery of high-quality technical support required to ensure that critical UNIX system administration tasks and projects can be addressed at all times.
The ESRF operates a large infrastructure made of about 400 servers dispatched in two computing rooms. Data Storage is provided by DDN/GPFS and DELL/NFS file servers (more than 8 PBytes in total), backup is made using large Oracle/StorageTek libraries and software from Atempo. Compute clusters are running Debian Linux and the OAR scheduler, and support various scientific software. Major infrastructure servers are running Debian and many of them are homed on KVM pools.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher university degree (Master, MSc, DESS, Diplom, Diploma, Ingenieria Superior, Licenciatura, Laurea or equivalent) in computer engineering or a related area;
- 2 to 5 years of professional activity in the field;
- Practical knowledge of the UNIX world – installation, kernel tuning, deployment, NFS, ssh, networking;
- Fluency in one or several scripting languages (shell, perl, python);
- Knowledge in high availability, virtualisation, docker, Jupyter notebook would be strong assets;
- Goodrelational skills, team spirit, autonomy and a service-oriented attitude;
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF) is a necessity for this international project.
The annual gross salary will be within the range 33 – 40 k€ and additional allowances may apply.
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested, please apply online by September 17th 2017.
How to Applyhttp://www.esrf.eu/Jobs
281 total views, 1 today