Internship United Nations University Internship Programme
UNU-EHS INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
United Nations University’s Mission: The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
UNU-EHS : established in December 2003, addresses the risk and vulnerability aspects of human security and the consequences of complex environmental hazards for sustainable development. The work of UNU‐EHS helps to improve the in‐depth understanding of the cause effect relationships to find ways to reduce risks and vulnerabilities. The Institute supports policymakers and decision makers with evidence‐based research and information. www.ehs.unu.edu
EduSphere section :investigates the teaching – research nexus to enhance the graduate education and research training of the Institute. The section develops open educational resources on vulnerability and risk for sharing with educators, students and self-learners to use, reuse and adapt them in teaching, learning and research. The EduSphere section is a strong propionate of Information Communications Technology (ICT) development and its applications with regard to the use of new media tools and eLearning/open source methods which empower and enable users. The section uses ICT to enhance its project work, facilitate communications between stakeholders, and generate learning materials for tertiary education programmes.
The two-year Joint Master of Science Programme in the Geography of Environmental Risk and Human Security was launched by UNU-EHS and the University of Bonn in October 2013. The Programme educates students in an interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary manner on how to investigate and manage various resources related to environmental hazards by implementing science-based principles and methodologies to disaster risk management.
The Internship Programme of UNU-EHS/ViE in Bonn recruits highly qualified applicants to work as interns at the different UNU-EHS academic sections. Interns are recruited through a competitive application process through specific vacancy announcements or unsolicited applications for a minimum period of three months and a maximum period of six months. Students or recent graduates interested in the work of the United Nations and in particular the United Nations University are encouraged to apply.
• assist with internship application processes, i.e. drafting internship vacancy announcements, working with online dissemination portals and updating roosters;
• support in the administration of the Joint M.Sc. Programme, i.e. assisting with call for applications; contact with Embassies and planning of introductory week (time of year / work cycle dependent);
• support in the organization of different courses, excursions and events;
• draft and edit documents in English, conduct desk research, and support file organisation;
• Assist with the creation of supporting materials (PPT presentations, statistics, etc.);
• assist in all necessary academic and/or administrative tasks as the needs arise.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Field of Study: University degree in a field of interest to UNU-EHS, such as, Administration, Political Science, International (Affairs, Development, Relations, Policy), Geography as well as Communications, Media Studies, or a related field.
Essential Skills and attributes:
• excellent command of English and experience editing and writing various documents in English;
• proven record of ICT proficiency;
• good knowledge of Microsoft Office Programmes;
• good analytical and time-management skills;
• ability to work flexible, multitask and work independently;
• willingness to work in a culturally diverse environment;
• willingness to learn new technology skills and methods.
• background in data collection and analysis assistance will be looked on favourably;
• knowledge of new/social media is preferable;
• some practical work experience in a professional office setting would be an asset;
• other languages will be considered an asset;
• high motivated and team-oriented person;
• sense of initiative and originality.
• become familiarised with project and academic programme management;
• gain understanding of the project work and related activities of UNU and the UN System;
• gain work experience within UN international working environment.
Duration: The successful candidate will be based at UNU-EHS in Bonn on a full-time basis for a contractual period ranging from 3-6 months. The internship is not remunerated.
How to ApplyInterested applicants should submit their application, preferably by e-mail, and must include the following: • Quote reference number: UNU-EHS/EduSphere/Edu/2016/1 in the email subject line; • Curriculum Vitae in English; • Cover letter in English: outlining your motivations, possible contributions to the programme and future career goals; • Completed UNU-EHS application form (downloadable at: http://www.ehs.unu.edu/about/internship/international-internship-programme.html#files); • Two letters of recommendation. For more information about the UNU-EHS internship programme, please visit the website: ehs.unu.edu/about/internship Workforce diversity is essential to UNU. Suitably qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds including minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be handled with the strictest confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications will not be acknowledged nor returned. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
632 total views, 2 today