Full-Time Secretary General
CIDSE is an international family of Catholic social justice organisations with a diverse set of members in many countries and an international secretariat in Brussels. We promote justice, harness the power of global solidarity and create transformational change to end poverty and inequalities. We do this by challenging systemic injustice and inequality as well as the destruction of nature. Created in 1967, CIDSE is today a flourishing network of committed members, working together based on common values and principles inspired by Catholic Social Teaching. We are part of a worldwide community of learning and action that is open to working with all people and groups of good will. The CIDSE international secretariat based in Brussels is a facilitator and animator, and contributes to leading and implementing decisions made by the network and can act on behalf of the network.
CIDSE aims at influencing political decisions, citizen behaviours and narratives with strong advocacy, alliance-building, mobilisation and communication. Amongst its priorities are making responsible decisions concerning natural resources, climate change, food, energy, gender equality, finance and sustainable lifestyles. We target international institutions, the EU, and unite our members to address national governments, corporations and citizens. We work in close alliances with wider civil society and with partner organisations in the global South. We believe people and local communities need to be at the heart of transformational change.
CIDSE is currently looking for a SECRETARY GENERAL to join its network in June 2017 (start date negotiable).
We are looking for a person with strong leadership skills and a personality to successfully implement our new strategy 2016-2021 “Acting for transformation” and its related operational plan. We are looking for a convincing, open-minded and authentic person with experience in working for and with civil society, advocacy and Church. Good management, communication, networking and facilitating skills are needed in order to create a positive, effective and constructive working environment in the international secretariat as well as the alliance. Justice, solidarity and sustainability are hallmarks of this job and the new Secretary General will be professionally and personally committed to these. A good knowledge of international politics, Catholic Social Teaching and understanding of how member-led networks function will be important.
Overall purpose of the job:
- The Secretary General has a pivotal role in the functioning of the network and in strengthening its position in a highly challenging environment. Hands-on leadership and management and strategic thinking will ensure that CIDSE is an effective network that provides added value to the individual Member Organisations and successfully achieves jointly agreed upon strategic objectives.
Her/his responsibilities will include:
- To facilitate the strategic planning processes of the network as well as the implementation, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and adjustment of strategic and operational plans;
- To work with and facilitate a management team, effectively lead the CIDSE International Secretariat and support the approx. 14 staff in their work;
- To undertake high-level networking and to represent the organisation in advocacy, Church and civil society;
- To facilitate a smooth and efficient functioning of the management bodies of the network incl. organising Board and EXCO meetings and collaboration with the CIDSE President;
- Engage member organisations in CIDSE’s activities and plans and support member organisation to participate in tasks and activities, according to the CIDSE strategic plan; to strengthen links and build synergies between member organisations and the secretariat;
- To lead and manage a professional team in a time of change.
- Demonstrable commitment to the Catholic Church, knowledge of its social teaching and ability to work with Church leaders and to represent CIDSE in Church bodies incl. the Vatican;
- Demonstrable and proven leadership skills in an agile, international and intercultural team;
- Results-oriented organisational, planning, negotiation and facilitation skills;
- Experience in project management as well as securing/managing external funding;
- Experience in change management;
- Political sensitivity and a demonstrable commitment to and understanding of political advocacy; strong lobbying and networking skills;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Ability to track and implement multiple priorities;
- Team player, seeking jointly-owned results;
- Able to animate a network around key priorities;
- 5 years’ experience of managing people and budgets at a middle or senior level, ideally in an NGO network or NGO. Short and long term field experience welcome;
- University degree in a field compatible with this job;
- Fluency in English, good command of French; knowledge of another language like Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese is an additional asset.
- An interesting and challenging job in a network of well-established social justice NGOs with an international secretariat in the EU quarter of Brussels;
- A competitive salary package (based on experience/qualifications) including incentives (allowances, pension scheme, child allowance, etc.);
- The mandate is for 5 years and can be renewed.
How to ApplyMore information about the position can be found in the detailed job description available here. Please send your CV, details of 3 references and a letter of application by 19 March 2017 to email@example.com. First round of interviews for short-listed candidates are planned for 30/31 March 2017.
343 total views, 1 today