Full-Time Science Officer
The ESF is a non-profit organisation specialised in support and services to scientific activities. We operate in a European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the frame of our development we invite applications for a Science Officer.
The mission of this position is to ensure the completion of ESF commitments, implement and carry out ESF’s scientific activities and contribute to the development of new projects.
This position will involve:
- Management and implementation of European Commission funded projects at ESF: managing and implementing the MERIL-2 project by completing and delivering tasks related to research infrastructures data acquisition and validation in view of completing and publishing the information on the MERIL portal (https://portal.meril.eu/meril/). Ensuring the execution of the MERIL-2 project work-plan including the preparation of deliverables and reports to the European Commission and supporting the Coordinator in delivering the overall projects objectives;
- Implementing the ESF services and projects according to defined processes and deadlines, and other new ESF activities;
- Ensuring the smooth running of/ support to of the Expert Boards and Committees and providing quality papers, minutes and reports in a timely manner;
- Overseeing and participating in the impartial implementation of scientific quality control, through regular peer review process of proposals and internal ESF guidelines;
- Contributing to the development of new projects (Peer Review, Evaluation, Career Tracking, EC or other external contracts…) and related required scientific processes at the request of ESF management;
- Identifying peer review panel members, managing/coordinating peer review panels, following up peer review and evaluation missions;
- Drafting proposals with the guidance from senior science staff management and ensuring compliance with European Commission and other international organisations contracts through full and timely reporting, in coordination with Administration and Finance and Human Resources departments;
- Publicising and informing the ESF community through publications and social media communication;
- Taking responsibility for the management and achievement of budgets for specific activities in compliance with ESF Financial Rules;
- Assisting the Corporate Science Officer in communicating to her/his direct staff a clear vision, strategy and priorities of the ESF.
The Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
Specific technical competencies:
- Ph.D or equivalent research experience, preferably with a further 5+ years’ research or science management experience. Knowledge of and experience in working within national, European or international research infrastructures and experience in the science areas of Biomedical sciences or Social sciences and Humanities would be an asset;
- Demonstrable experience in project management;
- Experience in working on data collection and research-related databases would be an asset;
- Demonstrable experience of research management and coordination of scientific projects;
- Demonstrable experience of peer review and evaluation processes;
- Knowledge of European and national research organisation and institutions, and of European and international science policy (in particular in the area of research infrastructures (including digital and e-infrastructures);
- Demonstrable experience in writing papers, reports, publications and presentations;
- Basic knowledge and experience of people management in a performance-based human resources environment;
- High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and Web sites.
Specific personal competencies:
- Proven organisational skills and capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community and with research stakeholders;
- Assertive with ability to influence decision-making;
- Ability to create links and promote networking;
- Excellent communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Excellent presentational skills;
- Action-orientated and responsible;
- Creative, willing to take initiative, and continuously improvement-minded;
- Ability to work independently within the context of objectives set by the management;
- Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
- The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will be starting as soon as possible;
- The contract is offered for a duration of 18 months;
- The person selected for the position will be working from Strasbourg head office. The position will involve significant travel.
How to ApplyPlease send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 24 July 2017 to email@example.com quoting the following reference SO 2017. Interviews will be held in Strasbourg on 4 September 2017. The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender (including in cases of pregnancy or maternity); age; ethnic, national or social origin; religion or belief; sexual orientation; disability; political opinion; social or economic condition or health.
879 total views, 2 today