Full-Time Research Officer
The Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies – the political foundation/think-tank of the European People’s Party (EPP; the largest European-level political party of the centre-right) – conducts activities on a wide range of policy-oriented, EU-related issues. The Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies is looking for a dynamic, motivated and innovative individual to fill the full-time position of Research Officer, based in Brussels.
Established under the EU Regulation (EC) No. 1524/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the regulations governing political parties at European level and the rules regarding their funding, the Martens Centre is an organisation that offers the unique opportunity to join an energetic team which lays the groundwork for the foundation’s ambitious plan of action.
The Martens Centre is currently looking for a dynamic, motivated and innovative individual with academic credentials to fill the position of Research Officer (m/f) based in Brussels. The position of Research Officer is a full-time position.
The Research Officer identifies the main themes within the policy fields relevant to the EPP family and aims to bring forward new messages, stimulate debate and commit high-level experts to the Centre.
One of the main responsibilities includes functioning as Assistant Editor-in-Chief of the Martens Centre Policy Journal, European View. Related tasks consist of identifying article contributors, conceptualise, review articles, contacting potential authors, liaising and communicating with the article authors throughout the editing and proofreading process; ensuring the authors meet the agreed deadlines to submit their contributions, liaising and communicating with the external publisher of the European View and being proactive in communicating and promoting the European View to external audiences.
- Assisting in planning, developing, co-ordinating and managing the research programme and studies of the Centre;
- Participating in follow-up of the progress and the quality of the research and studies in accordance with the highest academic standards;
- Participating in the development of a peer-review procedure related to each major research project;
- Assisting in building relations and enhancing the standing of the Centre within the academic and research community;
- Assisting in planning and structuring future research projects as well as the Centre’s inhouse research projects;
- Complementing the outsourced research, and further developing the research activities of the Centre;
- Active involvement and participation in research projects and the communication of their results;
- Manage research publications: conceptualise, review, process, launch;
- Write articles, speeches and briefings;
- Moderate and speak at public events;
- Participating in developing the network of external research associates of the Centre;
- Compiling databases and collecting relevant publications and studies from all areas of European politics;
- Monitoring European political developments and summarizing and analyzing data, relevant publications and studies for further use in research.
- University degree in political science, social sciences, law, economics or related disciplines;
- Several years of professional experience in academic research, in a think tank or a comparable institution;
- Expertise on EU’s foreign and security policy considered an asset; at the same time a successful candidate should be able to contribute to the debate on wide range of topics in European politics;
- Post-graduate level fluency in English, with proven writing skills; knowledge of additional languages is welcome;
- Excellent analytical as well as organizational skills;
- Good knowledge of European and international politics and familiarity with the history and the tradition of the Christian Democrat, Conservative and like-minded political parties of the EPP family;
- Committed and flexible team player, able to work in a multi-national environment.
How to ApplySubmission of application: applicants should forward a detailed CV and a cover letter by e-mail to email@example.com to the attention of Tomi Huhtanen, Executive Director of the Martens Centre, by 21 May 2017. When applying, please mention “Research Officer” in the subject-line of the email message.
337 total views, 1 today