Full-Time Regional Head of Communications (Maternity Cover)
The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations’ public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
The Office of Communications seeks a Regional Head of Communications for a maternity cover role of one year to be based in our London office. Part of the Communications senior management team, the Regional Head of Communications oversees communications, in coordination with the Chief Communications Officer, for Europe and Eurasia primarily and serves as a point of contact for regional communications officers throughout the network.
Flexible start date with option to start immediately, but no later than May 30.
- Manages a team of three in Europe based between London and Budapest
- Manages the effective use of time, budget, and human resources, network-wide and with specific programs on communications projects
- Manages external relationships with partners, consultants and advisors
- Serves as communications advisor to regional foundations, Open Society offices and grantees in Europe, Eurasia and elsewhere requiring regular travel
- Develops and implements communications strategies for programs, regional initiatives and specific projects as needed
- Develops and implements crisis communications strategies for both long term planning and short term needs including identifying possible communications and media risks and developing strategies to mitigate them
- Develops and implements media strategies to position key Open Society Foundations’ messages, people and grantees in print, online, broadcast, radio and other media
- Cultivates relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, radio and online media in Europe and elsewhere
- Elevate the Open Society Foundations’ work, advising colleagues of important developments and media opportunities
Training and Networking
- Develop and conduct Communications trainings for program staff and grantees;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key partners internally and externally across cultures and geographies
- Work closely with the digital team to implement overall digital strategy for the organization
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in senior level communications at an international organization
- Proven success at managing communications in high stakes and/or crisis situations
- Experience managing, developing and coaching a team of communications professionals, with a preference for experience managing a remote or geographically diverse team
- Knowledge of the political and social context of countries in Europe and Eurasia
- Proven skills in the development of communications strategies
- Excellent media relations skills including writing, pitching and media handling
- Social media and digital expertise
- Excellent English-language writing and editing ability, as well as verbal skills; additional languages an advantage
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple, demanding projects simultaneously
- High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity
- Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization
- Willingness to travel extensively for work
*Please upload a cover letter, resume and writing sample as one document when submitting an application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
How to ApplyVisit this link
398 total views, 1 today