Full-Time Program Officer Protection of Civilians
Program Officer Protection of Civilians
PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
The protection of civilians in armed conflict is a widely shared objective, but effective ways to organize protection are few and far apart in today’s violent conflicts. PAX aims to amplify the voices and capacities of civilians in conflict to improve the effectiveness of Protection of Civilians (PoC) actors and increase the security of local communities.
This position is based within the PoC Program Group at PAX. The PoC group’s main activities include: survey research and advocacy in South Sudan and Iraq (more locations to be added); Training of and networking with PoC actors; Defense and security policy research and lobby for inclusion of people-centered PoC policy at the UN, EU, NATO and in the Netherlands. We work with local partners, likeminded international organizations, military and diplomatic actors, researchers, politicians and policy makers. To increase our capacity to successfully link local civilian insights with international PoC policies and pre-deployment training, we are looking for a:
Program Officer Protection of Civilians (0.8 FTE)
Responsibilities and tasks
The Program Officer (PO) supports the program group and the program lead in the widest sense possible, including secretarial, financial and management support. You will report to and be managed by the program lead primarily with possible extension of tasks within the PoC team. This is a new position. Tasks will include:
- Assist in and independently execute research on PoC (policies, mandates, training modules, mission evaluations, etc.);
- Prepare meetings with PoC stakeholders and organize PoC knowledge events;
- Prepare and assist in PoC training modules for pre-deployment training of military and civilian staff;
- Write blogs and statements on the theme of PoC and its practical implementation;
- Help maintain and expand state-of-the-art knowledge and network on PoC;
- Support data management (thematic and country specific) and facilitate knowledge sharing within the PoC team and through its website;
- Support project cycle management and program administration, including PME and fundraising;
- General support to the program lead.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a colleague with a quick and politically savvy mind, experience in research and training course organization, a background in peace and security work and an affinity for PoC. Engaging personality with smart social skills that further our network, flexibility, willingness to travel, a hands-on mentality and a sense of humor will be considered crucial traits to bring to this job.
What we are asking:
- Professional and intellectual capacities at the academic or higher professional education level;
- Three years of work experience in the field of war and peace, including field work;
- Excellent command of English and Dutch, Arabic or French would be an asset;
- Professional experience with: conducting (policy) research on peace and war, (design) training for diverse audiences, working with military staff, strategic use of political analysis and networking;
- Practical experience with organizing knowledge events and designing professional course work;
- Team player who can work independently in an international setting;
- Willingness to travel to conflict areas;
- Affinity with the core values and tradition of PAX.
What we offer
- A dynamic position in a high-paced, informal, international working environment in a committed team;
- Place of employment: Utrecht, The Netherlands with some international travel
- Appointment for 28,8 hours per week (0,8 FTE), preferably starting May 2017 (or earlier, if possible), initially for 12 months, with possible extension
- Scale 9 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment, depending on experience, € 2.364 – € 3.435 gross (for a fulltime position, 36 hours per week)
- 8.3% end of year bonus
Information and application
Visit our website for further information on our organization www.paxforpeace.nl
For questions regarding this position, please contact Hans Rouw at email@example.com
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max. 2 pages) and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Hans Rouw, Program Lead PoC, only by using the application form on our jobs vacancy webpage.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is March 27th , 2017 The first round interviews will be held in week 16 and 17 (April 10 – April 21), 2017)
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
How to ApplyInterested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max. 2 pages) and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Hans Rouw, Program Lead PoC, only by using the application form on our jobs vacancy webpage.
750 total views, 1 today