Full-Time Program Officer, Civil Society Engagement
Program Officer, Civil Society Engagement
The Open Government Partnership (OGP) is a multi-stakeholder initiative focused on improving government transparency, accountability and responsiveness to citizens. OGP brings together government and civil society champions of reform who believe governments are more effective and credible when they open their doors to public input and oversight.
In the five years since OGP’s launch, its membership has grown from 8 to 75 countries, with hundreds of civil society organizations participating in the OGP process at the country-level. OGP countries represent one third of the world’s population and have made more than 2,700 policy commitments to promote transparency, empower citizens, fight corruption, and harness new technologies to strengthen governance.
As part of OGP’s strategic refresh, there is a strong emphasis on supporting the development and implementation of ambitious reforms in OGP National Action Plans, especially those that directly promote citizen-centric governance. This could include thematic areas such as anti-corruption, public service delivery, civic space, and citizen participation in policymaking.
The core piece of this Program Officer role is to work with the cross-organizational thematic team, and in particular the thematic project manager. The thematic team leads on the ambition of OGP to get traction on priority issues through OGP National Action Plans, especially around citizen centric governance and elite capture. Working with the thematic project lead (s)he will work on co-shaping the OGP narrative, help identify new partners to drive commitments on these issues and work with the OGP regional teams to identify concrete opportunities in OGP countries.
The second key element of this role will be to work closely with the civil society members of the Steering Committee, and especially the co-chairs, to enable their strategic leadership role in OGP. (S)he will specifically support them in helping them prepare for the governance and civil society engagement activities.
Finally, the role will consist of working with the Director, Civil Society Engagement, to provide assistance to him in the execution of his duties.
The Civil Society Engagement team is a nimble, international team that aims to broaden and deepen civil society engagement in OGP, both at the national and international level. The active and effective participation of civil society organizations in the Open Government Partnership is crucial to its success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the thematic priorities project manager in her role, with a focus on sourcing result stories and sharpening OGP’s value propositions (in close coordination with other Support Unit teams and external partners);
- Provide strategic support to the civil society members of the Steering Committee and especially to the civil society co-chairs in executing their governance, leadership and civil society engagement responsibilities;
- Design and coordinate OGP’s strategy to get stronger traction around public service delivery, in close coordination with the Director, Civil Society Engagement, and Thematic Priorities project manager;
- Support the Director Civil Society Engagement with his duties, for example with conducting analyses, preparing presentations and briefing notes for meetings;
- Contribute to the CSE team activities, including outreach to new civil society actors, organizing workshops and development/sharing of civil society tools, resources and experiences across the team.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in relevant field (e.g. development, political science, or international relations);
- A minimum of 5 years experience, including building civil society coalitions, brokering technical cooperation and partnerships, and organizing training workshops and events;
- An existing network and credibility within (global) civil society networks, ideally working on open government issues;
- Proven track record on transparency, accountability, citizen engagement and/or government responsiveness;
- Experience on public service delivery is highly desirable as is familiarity with technology for transparency initiatives;
- Track record working in multi-stakeholder environments or experience in working with governments desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self starter who can work independently, but likes working as part of a (virtual) team, proactive in sharing information with team members to update on both progress and setbacks;
- Positive outlook, humble and with and a healthy sense of humor;
- Sound judgment, professionalism and integrity;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, ability to consistently meet tight deadlines;
- Strong writing and presentation skills, articulate, persuasive;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, active listener who seeks to truly understand other perspectives;
- Ability to build strong working relationships across a multicultural virtual team;
- Proficiency in English a requirement; fluency in French and/or Spanish desirable;
- Ability to travel for work (15-25%).
How to Apply
Details and How to Apply:
- Position is based in Brussels, Belgium;
- Candidates must have authorization to work in Belgium;
- Compensation commensurate with experience;
- Please submit a cover letter, current CV and recent writing sample to email@example.com (link sends e-mail). The deadline to submit is May 20, 2017;
- Because of the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to every applicant. We thank applicants in advance for their expressions of interest.
607 total views, 2 today