Full-Time Program Accountant – West Africa
Program Accountant – West Africa
Title: Program Accountant – West Africa
Fixed term Consultancy, Internationally Recruited (1 year)
Duty Station: Rome, ITALY
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
Reporting to the Senior Program Accountant, the Program Account will play an oversight role ensuring that the field office financial management, for the regional countries (Mali, Liberia etc.), is performed following IDLO policies and procedures and respective donors ‘rules and regulations. The general nature of the position is to provide overall financial management oversight to assigned field offices by ensuring that monthly financial reports are reviewed for accuracy, correctness and compliance prior to uploading of the data into the financial system. This position will also ensure that there is proper management of donor grant and contract agreements by ensuring that financial data correctly represents approved program activities and that coding of expenses is done in line with approved budgets. S/he will ensure there is adequate availability of funds within the field office at any one time and that appropriate procedures are in place to minimize risk to foreign exchange exposures.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Specifically the incumbent will be responsible for:
• Ensure that expense transaction from field offices are reviewed for compliance, ensuring that costs are program related, supporting documentation is complete, accuracy of amounts and proof of receipt of services or goods prior to payment.
• Review monthly financial report and ensure that the distribution of costs to projects and allocation to account codes is in compliance with approved grant documents and IDLO chart of accounts.
• Upload financial data from the field offices into IDLO financial system on a monthly basis.
• Prepare monthly report documenting the outcome of the field office review, highlighting findings and solutions proposed.
Grants, contracts and budgets:
• Prepare monthly budget vs. actual report, in donor currency, for assigned programs and highlight variances to respective budget holders and ensure corrective action is taken.
• Provide recommendations for cost allocation systems and ensure that costs are allocated in accordance with the approved budget and IDLO chart of accounts.
• Prepare invoices and financial reports according to donor schedule and ensure they are submitted on or before the due deadlines.
• Review of consolidated monthly cash wire request prior to submission for processing.
• Monitor donor receivables and payables; follow-up on old balances.
• Ensure that each field office monitors exposure to foreign currency fluctuation and appropriate action is taken to minimize this risk.
Field office training and support
• Act as the primary liaison for the field office in advising the staff regarding applicable finance IDLO policies and procedures.
• Assist in the implementation of various finance policies and procedures as part of the Continuous Improvement Process – CIP.
• Visit the field offices for monitoring and compliance checks and follow up on audit recommendations and propose ways of improving on compliance & accountability.
Filing and document management:
• Ensure that all original documents are properly coded and placed in files in sequential order using the transaction numbers, for ease of future reference.
• Ensure that all copies of audit documentation required are clear, arranged in a systematic manner, cross referenced and forwarded to the auditors on a timely basis and ensure their return at the end of the audit.
Other Relevant tasks as may be requested by the supervisor.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
• Minimum of university degree in Accounting, Commerce or Finance is required.
• Professional certification in Accounting and/or Audit, Finance, e.g. ACCA, CA or CPA is highly desirable.
• Minimum of 4-6 years of progressive responsible experience ideally within an international/ intergovernmental/international non-government organization; specific regional experiences will be an advantage.
• Substantial professional experience with all aspects of financial accounting, including application of international accounting standards.
• Hands on experience in improving the effectiveness of finance functions and processes.
• Experience supervising teams and developing the capability of team members.
• Fluent oral and writing skills in both French and English are essential.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
• Extensive experience of using accounting systems/software and MS Office applications. Experience using MS Navision will be an added advantage.
• Strong client service ethics; solid team-oriented interpersonal skills, including facilitation.
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• High degree of accuracy to ensure correctness of financial information.
• Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people including senior managers on complex issues.
• Ability and willingness to travel to field offices including unstable contexts.
• Good team player, positive attitude, and comfortable in working in multi-cultural settings.
• Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
IDLO offers competitive remuneration package for the consultants based at the HQ, Rome, Italy. Selected candidate is expected to start immediately /as soon as possible.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Deadline for application: 30 April 2016.
How to ApplyAll interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website www.idlo.int/jobs and submit the completed IDLO Personal History Form (PHF), resume and cover letter. IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
262 total views, 1 today