Full-Time Procurement Officer
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 5 years (can be extended up to 9 years)
Grading: 5 or 6, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 7 May 2017
Reference Number: MR_00055
EMBL is Europe’s flagship research organisation for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. EMBL is international, innovative and interdisciplinary – its 1600 employees, from many nations, operate across five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge.
EMBL Monterotondo is located 20 km north of Rome, in a green riverside campus that it shares with Italian national research groups (IBCN-CNR) and the headquarters of the European Mouse Mutant Archive (EMMA). Currently, there are 95 employees covering research, scientific services, training activities and non-scientific support functions. The local administration team provides professional support to all groups and is closely working with the respective departments in the Headquarters in Heidelberg, Germany.
We are looking for a procurement officer joining the administration team in Monterotondo. He/she will have responsibility for the procurement and contractual aspects related to the purchase of goods and services for the research activity of the Unit. The postholder will report directly to the Head of the Unit.
Main responsibilities and tasks will be:
- Making requisitions, placing and following orders of goods and services for the Unit (e.g. laboratory reagents and consumables, scientific and service equipment, computer equipment, equipment spare parts, maintenance contracts, rental contracts etc.), ensuring that EMBL’s Financial Rules and Regulations are met throughout all stages of the procurement process;
- Advising the requisitioning groups on the full range of procurement issues, placing orders and following up the procurement process through to delivery;
- Negotiating sales terms and conditions with suppliers and interacting with them for any issues related to orders, deliveries and invoices;
- Conducting market research and evaluating suppliers and quotes to ensure goods and services are procured at a competitive price and delivered in a timely manner;
- Supervising the Unit’s stock of consumables and performing the year-end inventory;
- Dealing with import procedures and producing related documents;
- Requesting prepayments to the Headquarters Accounts Payable and following up on payments to the suppliers;
- Liaising with external contracted service providers regarding technical maintenance, building maintenance and other services;
- Provide local SAP support for users;
- Contribute to audit inspection as required.
Occasionally, the postholder may be required to cover additional tasks e.g.:
- Monitoring internal budgets and advising budget holders on the status of expenditure;
- Preparing the annual budget of the Unit and calculating end-of year accruals;
- Calculating and reviewing the Full Economical Cost of internal services;
- Performing periodical assets inventory.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Contract and Procurement, Business Administration or equivalent and Purchasing experience of at least five years;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of and user proficiency in MS Office and Internet;
- Very good knowledge of and user proficiency of SAP MM module or any other equivalent software is essential;
- Excellent communication skills in order to build and maintain good relationships with suppliers and liaise effectively with both management and staff;
- Fluency in English and Italian is essential. An excellent command of spoken and written Italian is required in order to deal effectively with local companies. A good command of German would be desirable but not essential;
- Excellent organizational skills, and solid team work experience;
- Self-initiative and the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- Although not essential, previous experience gained from working within a scientific environment and a sound knowledge of the research branch suppliers would be an asset.
How to Apply
Application InstructionsPlease apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
Additional InformationEMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
450 total views, 1 today