Full-Time Networking and Advocacy Officer
Networking and Advocacy Officer
About Eurodad: Eurodad (the European Network on Debt and Development) is a network of 47 civil society organisations (CSOs) from 20 European countries, which works for transformative yet specific changes to global and European policies, institutions, rules and structures to ensure a democratically controlled, environmentally sustainable financial and economic system that works to eradicate poverty and ensure human rights for all.
The purpose of this role is to take forward the Eurodad network’s crucial work on preventing and resolving debt crises, and pushing for radical changes in the way private finance is used.
The Networking and Advocacy Officer will help to ensure that Eurodad builds strong and effective coalitions for change, and help to empower civil society organizations in Europe and beyond. The role involves network strengthening and outreach, coordination and information sharing, monitoring and analysing policy developments, supporting advocacy and capacity development.
The successful candidate will balance excellent organisation and coordination skills with strong interpersonal communication in a multicultural context, and the ability to plan, organise and implement under their own initiative. They will be excited by working at the cutting edge of development finance policy campaigns for transformative change, and have experience of working with advocacy-focussed civil society groups or similar organisations.
Eurodad colleagues, Eurodad members and other civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, academics and think tanks, officials in organisations such as the European Commission and Parliament, United Nations, World Bank and IMF.
Contract & location:
Brussels-based, permanent contract. Competitive salary, depending on skills and experience. Hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to pension plan.
A. NETWORK COORDINATION AND EVENTS ORGANISATION (50%)
- Co Organise, coordinate and support the implementation of a capacity development programme for European civil society organizations and activist groups, focusing on the two thematic areas ‘ending debt crises’ and ‘private investment’;
- Organise, facilitate and attend meetings, conferences, teleconferences and other processes with Eurodad members and others to share information and to agree common strategies and initiatives;
- Organise and participate in other events;
- Respond to questions from Eurodad member groups, and other allies;
- Coordinate joint activities with network members and others.
B. ADVOCACY SUPPORT (20%)
- Support the organisation of advocacy meetings, including with politicians, officials and parliamentarians;
- Present Eurodad work at conferences and seminars;
- Input into Eurodad’s advocacy strategies in key areas.
C. POLICY MONITORING, RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS (20%)
- Conduct research and policy analysis on relevant development finance issues, with a focus on debt and private finance;
- Produce briefings and toolkits based on research on current development finance processes, policies and practices;
- Keep up to date with key issues, including monitoring relevant official and civil society activities in policy areas identified as network priorities;
- Produce articles, updates and summaries of key documents, political events and civil society processes to disseminate, including through Eurodad’s newsletter, website, email lists and through member and other publications.
D. TEAM AND ORGANISATIONAL SUPPORT (10%)
- Prepare input to donor reports as required;
- Support the team and Eurodad colleagues as necessary, including occasionally taking on tasks and responsibilities outside this job description to meet team or organisational needs;
- Supporting colleagues and assist with the day to day running of the office.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
1. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Capable networker: Good interpersonal skills and intercultural competence, including tactful but effective facilitation to agree objectives and get things done;
- Excellent communicator: Strong communication skills with a high standard of spoken and written English;
- Reliable organiser: Strong planning and project management skills, including capacity development programs, advocacy planning, and event organisation;
- Motivated team player: focus on supporting the team and Eurodad partners to achieve objectives, combined with ability to prioritise, use own initiative and work independently.
2. ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Previous experience in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation, particularly experience in network coordination and/or capacity building;
- Working in a CSO coalition or network and awareness of diverse civil society tactics;
- Five years’ work experience of:
- Organising events and coordinating activities, preferably for CSO coalitions or similar groupings;
- Research and analysis: writing briefings or reports on international development or related issues;
- Writing for specific audiences: Making complex topics accessible and relevant to policy audiences, including writing succinct and well structured summaries, articles, and briefings.
- Educated to at least degree level in political sciences, economics, social sciences, development studies or related subject;
- Understanding of debt and development finance policy issues, and related policy and political debates;
- Computer literate, familiar with standard software, including MS Office.
3. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
- Understanding of the workings of relevant multilateral institutions: the European Union, World Bank, UN, and IMF;
- Working in a developing country and/or working with organisations from the Global South;
- Fluent in other European languages.
4. COMMITMENT TO EURODAD’S OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Application deadline: 30th April 2017 before midnight Central European Summer Time.
How to Applyhttp://www.eurodad.org/vacancies/index/23
304 total views, 2 today