Internship MENA Project Intern, Arabic speaker
MENA Project Intern, Arabic speaker
Vacancy for MENA Project Intern
Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) was founded in 1915, WILPF conducts peace-building activities at every level.
The MENA project at WILPF operates on the Middle East and North Africa, and is divided into four broad interlinked components, or expected outcomes. Each component is part of an integrated approach that will enhance the capacity of civil society organisations to translate their reality into human rights terms, to promote peace, justice and disarmament from a gender perspective at the national and regional levels, and to produce evidence-based analysis of women’s peace and security concerns that will not only enhance local knowledge but also contribute to emerging debates and analysis at the international level. The aim is further to strengthen the way women civil society organise, directly participate and provide accurate information to early warning, during conflict and transition processes into relevant mechanisms at the national and international level.
In the MENA project, we engage with partners in eight countries: Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Lebanon and Morocco. Read more about the MENA project here: http://wilpf.org/mena-agenda-1325-project/
Description of the internship programme:
The MENA programme internship provides an excellent opportunity to work closely with the MENA team in our Geneva office for 6 months. WILPF is a member of the “We Pay Our Interns” initiative, which means that we pay a monthly gross stipend of 900 CHF.
Research and program implementation
· Researching, collecting and analyzing information about particular conflict situations, with a focus on our 8 partner countries to inform advocacy campaigns.
· Liaising with our national partners to implement the programme activities.
· Following up with other international organisations and sections on shared activities.
· Attending and reporting on several events in Geneva including the UN Human Rights Council sessions, treaty bodies and side events and provide logistical and administrative assistance to WILPF delegations to Geneva.
· Monitoring and reporting on international news and political developments in the region.
· Providing translation and proofreading from English to Arabic and vice versa to ensure that all materials in documents are accurate and conform to WILPF standards
· Assisting with logistics and administration of the Geneva office and facilitate conmmunications with other teams in Geneva, New York, London and the region.
· Providing assistance to MENA team members as needed.
· Responsible for covering the MENA work and activities on social media
· Photo: metatagging, archiving, research for publications, reaching out to photographers in order to document meetings in MENA region and related to MENA project
· Publishing and writing blogs for website
· Developing case studies about MENA project
· Assisting in the coordination of publications for the MENA project
· Online/in-person (when possible) interviews with MENA partners to use on social media
· Cover events at the UN Geneva when needed
· Managing the membership news and newsletters, news and alerts, etc. for the MENA activities
- The candidate must be fluent in both English and Arabic. Working knowledge of French is a great advantage.
- A degree in politics, international relations, Law, Gender, Middle Eastern studies, or a similar field. Students pursuing their Masters degree are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent organizational skills, communication skills and sound political judgment.
- Strong writing and analytical skills in both Arabic and English.
- Self-motivated, can demonstrate considerable initiative and be able to manage and complete many tasks simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines.
- Excellent administrative and computer/technology skills.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and to work independently.
How to ApplyPlease email your resume and cover letter to Sarah Boukhary on email@example.com with “MENA Internship” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 21 May 2017. Applications without cover letter and CV will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Geneva office will follow up for the work permit in Switzerland. WILPF is an anti-war organisation with a specific focus on issues concerning women, peace and security. Read more about us on www.wilpf.org and/or follow us on our social media.
585 total views, 1 today