Full-Time Media Manager
ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by more than seven million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for a Media Manager to lead ONE’s media engagement in Brussels. This is a role for an experienced media practitioner to help ONE achieve its advocacy and campaigns objectives directed towards the European Institutions through media engagement. The successful candidate will be a communications professional with a demonstrated interest in development issues and European current affairs. They will have experience of explaining complex issues concisely, be familiar with both news and strategic communications, have an existing network of media contacts, and understand how the media can influence policy change in the EU.
The ideal candidate will be a great team player who is sympathetic to ONE’s issues and is able to handle a varied and fast paced role. Familiarity and understanding of EU processes, and international development and interest or experience in Africa is an advantage. The role reports to the Brussels Director and will be based in Brussels.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Lead ONE’s relations with EU media outlets and Brussels-based correspondents from national media, developing relationships with key journalists, broadcasters, bloggers and other influencers;
- Monitor the media in Brussels and in EU countries where ONE does not have an office, identifying trends and opportunities for ONE;
- Research and pitch stories and interviews to print, broadcast and online media;
- Draft and sell in press releases; draft and edit articles for publication;
- Contribute to web and social media content, including blog posts;
- Proactively identify media opportunities and coordinate all requests for media interviews;
- Play a key role in the European media team, working with colleagues to ensure a co-ordinated approach to media in different markets;
- Play a key role in the Global Communications team, contributing and occasionally leading on to the development of ONE’s media positions globally, to ensure that all ONE media products are reflective of EU positions;
- Any other duties as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Significant track record in delivering effective media strategies;
- Demonstrable creativity and a flair for identifying interesting and newsworthy stories and successfully pitching them to a range of media outlets;
- Well-organised and able to deal confidently with media inquiries;
- A thorough understanding of the Brussels media market, as well as the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and web. Social media experience is desirable;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills including the ability to synthesise complicated policy issues into digestible products and to deal with both elite and popular media and specialist and non-specialist audiences;
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation skills, with the proven ability to work to deadlines;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to respond to numerous requests, sometimes with little notice;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills;
- Exercises good judgment in managing risks;
- A commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work;
- Fluent English essential; fluent French preferred; other European languages a real advantage;
- Knowledge of Africa and development issues preferred;
- A comprehensive contacts book for Brussels-based journalists, desirable.
How to ApplyPlease submit an application, resume, cover letter (including your salary history) AND your desired salary on our jobs page at jobs.one.org by 3 March 2017 midnight CET. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please. Only candidates authorized to work in Belgium without any restrictions need apply.
288 total views, 2 today