Full-Time Mechanical Engineer – ITER Site, Buildings, and Power Supplies
Mechanical Engineer – ITER Site, Buildings, and Power Supplies
F4E is looking for motivated candidates who possess strong analytical, organisational and communication skills and are keen to join ITER project and its construction site in Cadarache. In this respect, Fusion for Energy seeks to establish a reserve list for the profile of Mechanical Engineer.
Candidates must provide complete and accurate information relating to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Particular attention will be given to candidates’ motivation letters. Submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that application ineligible for consideration for the job opening.
Suitable candidates placed on the reserve list may be recruited upon decision of the Appointing Authority. Candidates should note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
This reserve list may be used for recruiting candidates on other similar positions carrying the same profile as the one described in this notice.
The validity of the reserve list could be extended if the Appointing Authority so decides.
All the detailed information concerning the selection process may be found in the “Guide for applicants” published on the F4E website along with this Vacancy Notice.
The European Joint Undertaking for ITER and the Development of Fusion Energy (‘Fusion for Energy’ or F4E) plays a key role in realising fusion as a possible future source of energy by providing the European contributions to the ITER International fusion energy project and the Broader Approach Agreement with Japan as well as by preparing for the construction of a demonstration fusion reactor.
In its role as the Euratom Domestic Agency for ITER, F4E:
- Oversees preparation of the ITER project site in Cadarache, France;
- Provides in kind components, equipment, materials and other resources to ITER;
- Manages procurement arrangements with ITER;
- Coordinates Euratom’s participation in the scientific exploitation of ITER;
- Provides for the implementation of R&D activities in support ITER;
- Provides Euratom’s financial contribution to ITER;
- Provides arrangements to make human resources available for ITER.
In its role as the Implementing Agency for the Broader Approach Agreement with Japan, F4E:
- Provides components, equipment and other resources for the Broader Approach (BA);
- Coordinates Euratom’s participation in the Broader Approach implementation;
- Provides for the implementation of associated R&D activities;
- Provides the Euratom financial contribution to the Broader Approach;
- Arranges to make human resources available for the Broader Approach.
In preparation for the construction of a demonstration fusion reactor (DEMO) and related facilities including the International Fusion Materials Irradiation Facility (IFMIF), F4E will implement a programme of research, development and design activities.
For further information about the structure and tasks of F4E, please consult the website at http://fusionforenergy.europa.eu.
As a member of the ITER Department of ‘Fusion for Energy’ and directly reporting to the Project Team Manager of the Site, Buildings and Power Supplies Project team, the Mechanical Engineer will implement and follow-up the necessary engineering phases and contracts for the construction of high-standard mechanical systems for ITER site and buildings according to the general specifications received from the ITER Organisation.
The successful candidate will, among other tasks:
- Liaise with the ITER Organisation and other projects or units of Fusion for Energy in his/her area of expertise and responsibility;
- Prepare the technical specifications for the new contracts, or the contractual Variations for the existing Contracts, aiming at coping with the project requirements whilst integrating the relevant technical optimizations generating cost savings without impact on the schedule;
- Ensure the consistency of the related administrative and legal documentation (contract, tender specifications,…), evaluate the tenders and/or the answer from the Contractor to contractual Variations, monitor and master the progress of the contracts and their compliancy with the IO and F4E requirements in the limits of his/her responsibility;
- Ensure that F4E Quality Assurance and Control requirements are implemented in all activities related to his/her area of responsibility in accordance with the arrangements established with the ITER Organisation;
- Manage design studies ensuring that all Functional/Layout/In-Service-Inspection (ISI)/Commissioning/Maintenance requirements are properly satisfied through agreed and well defined procedures;
- Follow up with the adequate quality strictness the implementation of the programme of works and the compliancy with design requirements from the manufacture till the commissioning and the operation phase through the different construction works and tests;
- Contribute to the elaboration of periodical reporting documents (cost estimate and follow-up, project plans, risk analysis plans, deviations, etc.);
- Assist the F4E Senior Officer in charge of mechanical engineering management in the assessment and disposition of Project Change Requests (PCR), Field Change Requests (FCR), Deviation Requests (DR), Non-Conformance Requests (NCR) ensuring the prompt implementation of the required changes in design and construction phases, previous completion of a detailed costs/benefits analysis;
- Coordinate the related design activities and to propose to the F4E Senior Officer in charge of mechanical engineering management priorities for the execution of the work in the area of his/her scope of responsibility;
- Subsidize to the development of the work programs and schedules in his/her area of responsibility till commissioning and final documentation validation and approving;
- Contribute to and support the implementation of French nuclear requirements and European mechanical standards.
A. Eligibility Criteria
A1. In order to be eligible the candidate must:
- Be a citizen of one of the Member States of the European Union or of a Third state fully associated with the Euratom fusion programme (Switzerland);
- Enjoy his/her full rights as a citizen1;
- Have fulfilled the obligations imposed on them by the laws of their home country concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved;
- Be physically fit to perform their duties2.
A2. On the closing date for registration the candidate must possess:
At least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma and, after having obtained the university degree, at least 3 years of proven professional experience.
Only study titles that have been awarded by the Members of the Joint Undertaking or that are subject to the equivalence certificates issued by the authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration.
A3. The candidate must possess a good command of English to the extent necessary to perform his/her duties and a thorough knowledge of another official language of the European Union3.
B. Qualifications and Experience Required
B1. Essential Selection Criteria
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent;
- At least 3 years experience in the supervision of the implementation of mechanical engineering projects involving large mechanical procurements (more than 20 M€);
- At least 1 year proven experience in the field of mechanical design, construction and commissioning preparation and follow-up;
- Proven experience in the field of European nuclear mechanical safety codes or standards (RCCM, ASME, …) in large industrial projects (more than 20 M€);
- Proven experience in the management of design works including monitoring the status of the project and generating effective reports on the work;
- Proven experience in addressing “Costs/benefits analysis” evaluating risks management and nuclear liabilities;
- Experience in technical specifications preparation and supplier offer evaluation in large industrial projects (more than 20 M€) with high level quality and nuclear safety requirements;
- Strong communication skills.
B2. Advantageous Selection Criteria
- Experience in design, manufacturing, installation, commissioning or operation of large-scale technically complex nuclear equipment;
- Knowledge in nuclear engineering and having developed basic knowledge in mechanical nuclear disciplines;
- Experience in working in nuclear mechanical engineering with nuclear mechanical codes and standards;
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering tools for modelisation and dimensioning mechanical installations (ANSYS, PIPESTRESS, THBAT, …);
- Participation to ITER, EPR, or similar nuclear complex recent project activities;
- Strong ability to work under pressure according to set schedules;
- Working experience in a European or international and multicultural environment.
Conditions of Employment
Commitment to promote equal opportunities
‘Fusion for Energy’ is an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourages applications from all candidates who fulfil the eligibility and selection criteria without any distinction whatsoever on grounds of nationality, age, race, political, philosophical or religious conviction, gender or sexual orientation and regardless of disabilities, marital status or other family situation.
A contract offer will be made as a member of temporary staff, pursuant to Article 2(f) of the Conditions of Employment of other servants of the European Communities.
The candidate(s) placed on the reserve list may be recruited in the grade AD6 on a contract with an initial duration of five years, with possibility of renewal. The established reserve list may be used to fill similar positions at the same grade but for 3 year non-renewable temporary agent 2(f) contracts. The probationary period is 9 months.
For more information on the selection process of Temporary Agents and on the contractual and working conditions, please, refer to:
- Guide for Applicants:
- Conditions of employment of Other Servants of the European Communities:
The salaries of temporary agents are subject to a community tax deducted at source. They are exempt from national tax. The European institutions have their own social security and pension scheme. As an indication, the basic monthly salary, before any deductions or allowances, for grade AD6 (step 1) is currently 5,079.70 €.
In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular a household allowance, expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary and household allowance), dependent child allowance and education allowance.
For further information on remuneration for temporary agents, visit: http://www.fusionforenergy.europa.eu/downloads/careers/Remuneration%20TA2016.pdf.
Under certain circumstances, in particular where the jobholder is obliged to change his/her place of residence in order to take up employment, ‘Fusion for Energy’ may also reimburse various expenses incurred on recruitment, notably removal expenses.
The place of employment is Cadarache, France.
Given the needs of the organisation, the candidate may be offered a position at any of the other F4E working places: Barcelona (Spain) or Garching (Germany).
For reasons related to the ‘Fusion for Energy’ operational requirements, once the candidate receives the job offer, he/she may be required to be available at short notice (2 to 3 months).
How to ApplyIn order to apply to the Mechanical Engineer position in Cadarache, candidates must provide complete and accurate information relating to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Particular attention will be given to candidates’ motivation letters. Submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that application ineligible for consideration for the job opening. The online application process starts upon clicking “CLICK TO APPLY” next to a vacancy of your interest on the Open Positions page: http://fusionforenergy.europa.eu/careers/vacancies/Default.aspx. Applicants must register their applications online through the F4E E-recruitment tool by creating a valid F4E user account and submitting the documents mentioned below. Please note that the online e-recruitment application tool is the only acceptable means of sending in job applications. Applicants are responsible for keeping their e-mail addresses and personal details up to date in their profile in F4E online application tool. The mandatory fields in the profile marked with an asterisk should be duly filled in and the candidates are requested to submit the following 2 documents:
- A detailed Europass Curriculum Vitae in English (can be obtained at the following address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae);
- A motivation letter of 2 pages maximum in English.
Reimbursement of travel expensesTravel expenses incurred for tests will be reimbursed by ‘Fusion for Energy’ according to its rules for the reimbursement of travel expenses sent along with the letter inviting to an interview. After the submission of the required documents, the reimbursement of the travel expenses will occur in the 3 following months.
Protection of personal data - Privacy notice‘Fusion for Energy’ as the body responsible for organizing the selection process, will ensure that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data. Personal data shall be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure. Applicants have the right to access and rectify their data. To update your CV and/or Motivation Letter and rectify any incorrect or inaccurate data, pleas login into your e-recruitment profile before the deadline for submission of the applications elapses. After the deadline for applications has elapsed, this right will be limited to the rectification of identification details and contact information only. Should the applicant have any query concerning the processing of his/her personal data, he/she shall address them to the following address: Resources-Controller@f4e.europa.eu. In case you encounter technical problems when trying to submit your application via the e-Recruitment tool, please make a screenshot and send it to: email@example.com. It is the responsibility of the applicant to inform ‘Fusion for Energy’ about any technical problem without delay within the deadline mentioned above. Please, do not send any supporting documents (i.e.: copies of your ID-card, educational certificates, evidence of previous professional experience etc.) with your application at this stage if not specified in the Vacancy Notice.
Appeal and Complaint proceduresApplicants that consider that he/she has been unfairly affected by a particular decision regarding this selection can lodge a complaint. For further details on how to proceed, please consult the appropriate document published on our website. ___________________________ 1 Prior to any appointment, the successful candidate will be asked to provide a certificate issued by the competent authority attesting the absence of any criminal record. 2 Before his/her appointment, the candidate shall be medically examined in line with requirement of Article 12(2)(d) of the Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities. 3 Promotion/reclassification is subject to working knowledge of a third EU language.
920 total views, 1 today