Full-Time Legal Advisor/Conseiller Juridique
Legal Advisor/Conseiller Juridique
1. The World Customs Organization
The World Customs Organization (WCO), established in 1952 as the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC), is an international organization whose mission is to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of Customs administrations worldwide (www.wcoomd.org).
The WCO, which has its registered headquarters in Brussels, today represents 182 Customs administrations across the globe that collectively process approximately 98% of world trade. As the global centre of Customs expertise, the WCO is the only international organization with competence in Customs matters and can rightly call itself the voice of the international Customs community.
The WCO’s governing body – the Council – relies on the competence and skills of a Secretariat and a range of technical and advisory committees to accomplish its mission. Reflecting the diversity of the Council, the Secretariat consists of over 150 international officials, technical experts and administrative staff of more than forty different nationalities.
Within the Secretariat, the Legal Service handles legal matters in support of the WCO’s work and operation.
2. Job description
The Legal Advisor performs the following duties under the supervision of, and in cooperation with, the Head of the Legal Service:
- negotiates and drafts contracts concluded by the WCO with its Members, other international organizations, and all other public and private bodies (service providers and suppliers of goods and services);
- helps manage any litigation in (extra-) contractual matters, in cooperation with external legal counsels where appropriate, and helps implement the arbitration procedure;
- prepares notes/opinions and researches legal issues relevant to the WCO, particularly in contract law/commercial law, public international law/law of international organizations, liability law, intellectual property law (primarily copyright law), and insurance law;
- helps WCO services with drafting and implementing calls for tender in compliance with applicable internal standards;
- helps handle requests relating to the interpretation and application of the WCO Staff Manual where necessary, and, more generally, with any legal matter relating to WCO staff;
- helps draw up and amend internal policies, rules or guidelines; and
- handles any other legal issue submitted for the attention of the Legal Service.
3. Candidate profile
- Master’s degree in law, ideally with a specialization in contract/commercial law and public international law (specialized options and/or a complementary Master’s degree);
- Lawyer training/status (membership of the Bar/Bar exam certificate) is an advantage;
- Two to five years’ professional experience with in-depth practical experience of contract law/commercial law (drafting and negotiating agreements) and, where appropriate, international law/law of international organizations;
- Any knowledge and/or practical professional experience of IT contracts, public contracts, arbitration and/or intellectual property law (copyright law) is an advantage;
- Professional experience in an international, multicultural and multilingual context is an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of one of the two official languages of the WCO (English/French) and good knowledge (both spoken and written) of the other language is essential;
- Excellent analytical skills, discipline, ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to plan his/her work and deal with several urgent tasks at once;
- Ability to work in a multicultural political environment, respecting the diversity of individuals; and
- Good interpersonal skills, and ability to express himself/herself well in both written and oral communication.
Full-time contract at WCO headquarters in Brussels for a fixed term of two (2) years (subject to a probationary period of six (6) months), with the possibility of renewal.
Attractive remuneration in line with the candidate’s experience and profile and benefiting from tax exemption.
5. Closing date for applications
30 September 2017
How to ApplyIf you are interested in this vacancy, please e-mail your CV and covering letter in English or French to Mr. Gilles CARBONEZ - email@example.com (Head of Legal Service). Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
322 total views, 2 today