Full-Time Legal Advisor for our international work against torture and organised violence
DIGNITY seeks a Legal Advisor for our international work against torture and organised violence
With commencement 1 September 2017, DIGNITY – Danish Institute Against Torture seeks a Legal Advisor with a background in the field of international human rights law and with experience from detention monitoring and criminal justice.
The position as Legal Advisor is a 5-year position with a possibility of extension.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of DIGNITY’s Legal & Advocacy programme. This includes strategic and methodological development, legal research, advocacy, capacity building and provision of legal advice to DIGNITY’s international partners and other stakeholders.
- To participate in shaping and implementing DIGNITY’s strategy and programme on the prevention of torture in places of detention, notably to provide legal advice and build capacity of partners globally on detention monitoring.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of DIGNITY’s strategy and programme on access to justice, notably to provide legal advice in the fields of rule of law and criminal justice.
The ideal candidate has:
- A background within law with specialisation in international human rights law and/or criminal law and 8-10 years of experience in working with human rights issues, preferably from development countries and/or societies in transition.
- Expertise and experience with detention monitoring, possibly from the International Committee of the Red Cross or National Preventive Mechanisms, and criminal justice, preferably from criminal justice sector reform in the South.
- Excellent analytical, drafting and communication skills as well as strong skills in cross-professional/cross-cultural co-operation, initiative, independence, and robustness. Applicants must be willing to travel in connection with working in developing countries approximately 30-45 days annually.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a prerequisite. Competency in written and spoken French and/or Arabic is also a requirement.
Pay and placement
The position is remunerated according to labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and The Danish Federation of Professional Associations. The position as Legal Advisor will be classified as “specialkonsulent”, however, depending on the incumbent’s qualification and experience.
The position is placed at DIGNITY’s headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark. The successful candidate will be placed in the Legal & Advocacy Department and will work closely with DIGNITY’s other departments and international partners.
For further information about the position, please contact the Director of the Legal & Advocacy Department, Ms. Therese Maria Rytter, phone +45 3376 0600, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Interviews will take place in week 25.
How to ApplyApplications Please mark the application with “Legal Advisor” Applications should reach DIGNTY by 10 June 2017 Applications with CV and copies of relevant graduation papers (in one document) should be sent to: email@example.com For further information about DIGNTY, please log on to our website: www.dignityinstitute.org DIGNITY is a self-governing institution that is independent of party politics. Our vision is a world free from torture and other forms of organised violence. DIGNITY’s mission is to contribute to the global knowledge on how to alleviate human suffering and consequences of torture and how to prevent the occurrence of torture and organised violence of torture. On the basis of its specialised knowledge, DIGNITY contributes to the rehabilitation of torture victims and the prevention of torture and organised violence in Denmark and in the global South in close cooperation with partner organisations.
174 total views, 2 today