Full-Time IT Test Engineer
IT Test Engineer
COST – European CO-operation in Science and Technology – is a unique means for European researchers to jointly develop their own ideas and new initiatives across all scientific disciplines through trans-European networking of nationally funded research activities.
Based on a European intergovernmental framework, COST has contributed since its creation in 1971 to closing the gap between science, policy makers and society throughout Europe and beyond. COST mission is to enable break-through scientific developments leading to new concepts and products and thereby contributing to strengthen Europe’s research and innovation capacities.
The COST Association is an international non-profit association based in Brussels with 36 European Member Countries; it integrates governance, management and support functions dedicated to COST activities aiming at enabling trans-European science and technology cooperation. The COST Association draws its funding from the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020, through specific Grant Agreements signed in the frame of a framework Partnership Agreement with the European Commission.
The IT Test Engineer primary responsibilities are to insure the quality of software development and deployment at every stage, to conduct automated and manual tests to ensure that the software created by developers is fit for purpose, to analyse the software and systems to avert risk and prevent software issues.
The IT Test Engineer reports directly to the Head of Information Systems.
The successful candidate should be available to start as soon as possible. The position will involve:
- Being part of a development team committed to deliver high-value software;
- Ensuring the quality of software development and deployment;
- Managing the quality assurance of new projects as well as existing software (bug, patches);
- Defining test strategy and test plans for the different products based on software requirements and technical specifications;
- Conducting automated and manual tests to ensure the software is fit for purpose;
- Generating and managing historical analysis of test results and defects by documenting anomalies and issues;
- Operating and maintaining test environments;
- Promoting test automation by developing and maintaining automated test scripts and their environments;
- Organizing and supporting UAT (User Acceptance Test) phases during projects;
- Contributing to software documentation and instructions for end users;
- Ensuring compliance with general programming best practices;
- Fulfilling other responsibilities and tasks as necessary for the good organisation of the office, as mandated by the COST Association Director.
Profile and Competencies
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
Education & Experience:
- Master degree in Computer Science or similar;
- At least 2 years of professional experience in quality assurance/test of WEB based applications, preferably in a LAMP environment (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP);
- High standard of spoken and written English, knowledge of other European languages appreciated;
- Experience in academic or not-for-profit environment.
- Solid understanding of testing processes, ideally supported by a ISTQB certification;
- Ability to work under pressure and with flexibility (peak periods in test activity before releases);
- Ability to obtain resolution by team consensus when differences in business processes are discussed;
- Experience in test scripts, test automation (Selenium, Teamcity, Bamboo);
- Experience of LAMP stack (at least Linux and SQL databases);
- Experience working with development environment and related configuration management (SVN, Git);
- Experience working with Agile methodologies is preferred.
- Good inter-personal and communication skills within a multi-national context, including diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality;
- Good planning and organizational skills;
- Commitment to deliver on tasks allocated and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple tasks and work well independently (only one IT Test Engineer in the team) as well as collaboratively;
- Positive and constructive attitude in an evolving environment;
- Service-oriented attitude with strong sense of purpose and drive to make a meaningful contribution to the COST mission.
The COST Association offers
- A ful time contract under the Belgian law;
- Start date: as soon as possible;
- A European working environment located in Brussels;
- Unless a national of the ‘EU and EEE’, candidates must be eligible to work in Belgium and must have a work permit.
How to ApplyElectronic applications (motivation letter with possible start date mentioned + CV in English and at least 2 recent reference letters in English) should be addressed to Barbara Bottiau and sent to email@example.com, mentioning the reference code ITTE2016 in the subject line. Please note that the COST HR Team will only contact the candidates who are invited to the interview. No individual feedback will automatically be given to unsuccessful candidates. The interviews will take place on 6th December 2016 for the 1st round. Deadline for application: 27/11/2016 included. For more information, please visit our website: www.cost.eu. Data protection - All personal data provided by applicants will be dealt with in compliance with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regards to the processing of personal data by the Community Institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data and also in compliance with the law of 8 December 1992 relative to the protection of the private life with regards to the personal data processings which transposes into Belgian law the provisions of the European directive.
1065 total views, 1 today