Internship Intern (BEL421)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: UKREP (UK Representation to the EU)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The UK Representation to the European Union (UKREP) is part of a worldwide network of diplomatic missions, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for three full-time interns to work across multiple policy areas.
These are three challenging and varied roles providing support to three busy teams in UKREP: Competitiveness and Markets; Justice and Home Affairs; and Social and Environment policy teams. The work of UKREP involves representing UK views and positions, as well as advising colleagues, Whitehall officials and UK Ministers on EU business and ongoing negotiations, undertaking projects towards meeting UK Ministers’ objectives for EU legislation. The internships will provide invaluable insight into EU policy making from the Council and the European Parliament perspective.
The successful candidate will be expected to be flexible and adapt to help cover any potential shift in policy priorities within fast moving teams. The internship is offered on a three month basis.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Arranging meetings and coordinating programmes for ministerial and senior official visits to Brussels, Luxembourg and Strasbourg;
- Providing support and preparing documents for Working Groups and Council meetings (including opportunities to attend working group meetings);
- Reporting on debates, events and committee hearings in the European Parliament;
- Engaging with the relevant Whitehall departments and overseas Posts to insert an UKREP perspective.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Completed a University Degree;
- Fluent in English;
- Strong Organisational skills;
- Strong Communications and Personal skills;
- Confident in using Microsoft Office Programs.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Knowledge of French and/or German;
- Experience of working within EU institutions and/or Whitehall departments.
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace.
Application deadline: 30 August 2017
Type of Position: Full-time, Temporary
Working hours per week: 36.25
Region: Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City): UK Permanent Representation to the European Union, Brussels
Type of Post: Political Office
Number of vacancies: 3
Starting monthly salary (EUR): 766 gross
Start Date: 18 September 2017
End Date: 17 December 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time professional immersion traineeship with the duration of 3 months, 36.25 hours net for 5 working days a week.
The professional immersion indemnity for this position is €766. The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium follow the Belgian minimum pay scales for paid internships as set out under local labour law.
For more details, please follow the link: http://www.emploi.belgique.be/defaultTab.aspx?id=3460.
The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation. Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Professional Immersion Traineeship Requirements
- Be a minimum of 18 years old;
- Proof of valid medical coverage for the period of the internship (European Health Insurance Card);
- The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance;
- Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
How to Applyhttps://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/4015-Intern-UKREP-BEL421/en-GB
576 total views, 1 today