Full-Time Humanitarian Manager
Job Title: Humanitarian Manager
Salary scale: £32,000 – £38,000
Location: Manchester Head Office
Responsible to: Director of Programmes
Human Appeal International (HA)
Human Appeal is a non-profit organisation working across the globe to strengthen humanity’s fight against poverty, social injustice and natural disaster. Through the provision of immediate relief and establishment of sustainable development programmes, we aim to invest in real effective solutions.
Now over 20 years old, Human Appeal has a presence in 24 countries spanning across 3 continents: Asia, Africa and Europe.
Assume overall management & oversight of planning and implementing Human Appeal’s humanitarian response.This role also includes managing the administration, assessment and implementation of all overseas humanitarian projects whilst liasing with relevant country offices/partners. To assist in ensuring that HA projects are adequately communicated to internal and external stakeholders as necessary.
Key responsibilities include;
- Assume overall management & oversight of planning and implementing Human Appeal’s humanitarian response
- Lead the development of the programme’s Humanitarian Preparedness and Response Strategy and Contingency Plans and liaise closely with the Human Appeal Programmes Team. This includes the development and training of an Emergency response team.
- Make clear recommendations based on the overall response strategy, in particular; proposed program content, staffing, management and administration arrangements and budget with clear indications of funding and technical support resources
- Provide direction and guidance to the Programmes team and consultants to ensure department outputs are achieved in relation to trends and issues within the humanitarian operating environment.
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the programme.
- Manage HAI offices to implement HAI contingency plan(s) and lead emergency responses in their areas of intervention.
- Provide technical support for HAI disaster risk reduction (DRR), disaster preparedness and emergency programmes.
- Define, propose and ensure the implementation of humanitarian response strategies, including remote management, action plans and operational models for HAI emergency interventions.
- Represent HAI in humanitarian coordination forums and events and other coordination meetings.
- Ensure there is sufficient research and support of potential humanitarian funding streams.
- Ensure systematic and effective implementation and monitoring of projects and implementing corrective measures to keep the project on the right track for achieving the planned results;
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director of Programmes to enable and develop HAI humanitarian programmes.
- Must adhere to the charities policies and procedures, e.g. Health & Safety at Work, Freedom of Information Act 2000, Data Protection Act 1998, Equal Opportunities, Company Handbook, Quality Management System, Investor in People etc. at all times.
- Must adhere to and act in accordance with humanitarian sector good practice, such as Sphere and INEE, Red Cross and NGOs Code of Conduct.
- Will respect the confidentiality of all matters relating to their employment and other members of staff.
- To demonstrate on-going professional development through reflective practice and participation in internal and external development opportunities as evidenced in a Continuing Professional Development portfolio.
- To participate in the appraisal process and ensure that agreed objectives are achieved, taking responsibility for directing own learning and development activities (e.g. private study, e-learning).
- To attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the line manager.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, managers, directors and the general public.
- Other duties as per the request of the Programmes Director and/or CEO in the interest of the organisation objectives.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in working with/managing humanitarian programmes.
- Overseas experience in conflict or post-conflict context a significant advantage.
- Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of complex issues, and translation of humanitarian priorities into operational programmes.
- Excellent humanitarian programme management and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with local NGOs including technical and organisational capacity development in humanitarian matters.
- Extensive experience developing and managing budgets.
- Competency in writing progress reports and narratives for donors.
- Experience in developing monitoring and evaluation frameworks for humanitarian projects.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Be able to travel at extremely short notice and in difficult conditions.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage time and prioritise work to deadlines.
- Diplomatic skills are a significant advantage, both for internal coordination and for working with key stakeholders in conflict setting.
- Awareness of current humanitarian issues and contexts.
- Awareness of international development issues and MDGs.
- Knowledge of additional languages such as Arabic/Urdu.
- Knowledge of Islamic charitable giving e.g Zakat, Qurbani, Waqf, Fitrana, Fidya etc.
- Understanding of international human rights issues.
- Graduate level
- A Masters in international development or conflict studies or equivalent.
- Commitment to community and social development values
- Tolerant to the views and opinions of others
- Right to work in the UK
How to ApplyApplication is by CV and covering letter by email to: email@example.com or by hard copy to Human Appeal, Victoria Court, 376 Wilmslow Road, Manchester M14 6AX. Please put the job title as the subject of the email.
491 total views, 2 today