Full-Time Head, Information Technology Services
Head, Information Technology Services
Vacancy Notice No: IARC/16/FT736
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: Two years – Renewable
Application Deadline: 18 December 2016
Organization unit: IARC (IARC) Section of Support to Research (SSR)/Information Technology Services (ITS)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
IARC’s Information Technology Services (ITS) Group provides all services related to computer science and communication technologies, ranging from the userside to the data centre. To achieve these objectives, the ITS Group designs, manages and monitors the hardware and software infrastructure for the scientific groups, administrative management tasks, and all other related needs, such as network security. To ensure an effective use of IARC’s resources, the development team assists in automating administrative management tasks, analyses user requirements, and proposes relevant IT solutions.
Description of duties:
Reporting to the Director of Administration and Finance (DAF), the incumbent is expected to:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentoring to the ITS Group staff; foster teamwork and communication among members of the Group; plan, organize, implement, manage and oversee the delivery of ITS services to IARC, in accordance with ITS management best practices;
- Conduct ITS projects in accordance with project management best practices;
- Prepare the IARC ITS budget; co-ordinate the preparation of reports for relevant bodies, as required;
- Ensure that the output of the Group meets high quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data; that all outputs produced by the staff under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates;
- Manage the acquisition of ITS goods and services; co-ordinate needs assessments, the establishment of benchmarks, and the preparation of statements of work and requests for proposals in collaboration with the procurement unit to establish and manage contracts;
- Ensure proper inventory control and asset management of ITS systems and services;
- Serve on various committees where ITS expertise is required within IARC;
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in the industry in order to provide technical and policy advice to IARC senior leadership on ITS systems and services in a changing institutional environment; establish priorities and strategic requirements in consultation with senior leadership;
- Conceptualize, develop and implement an ITS strategy that is aligned with the strategic objectives of IARC;
- Oversee the delivery of high standard helpdesk services in compliance with agreed upon service level agreements;
- Develop and implement standards and policies for the effective and secure use of IT and information, taking account of all relevant statutory obligations and risks; manage, and provide expert advice on, the selection, design, justification, implementation and operation of information security controls and management strategies to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of information systems;
- Develop and/or strengthen collaboration and partnerships with ITS services of international organizations within the United Nations and elsewhere.
Advanced University degree (Master’s degree) in telecommunications, information systems and technology, or related areas. A first-level university degree combined with a minimum of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Up-to-date and thorough knowledge and skills in information systems and electronic telecommunications technologies, networking and IT security for complex organizational environments; very good knowledge of IT service management and project management best practices, such as ITIL or PRINCE2; practical experience with IT tools (such as Exchange, SharePoint and Cisco); conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand information systems and business operational issues, so as to analyse thoroughly and evaluate critical systems matters; knowledge of administrative, budgetary (in particular IPSAS standard), financial, procurement and human resources policies and procedures; ability to provide specialized advice on a broad range of ITS issues to the IARC senior leadership.
Sound and impartial judgment. Proven track record in negotiating and liaising with contractors and authorities.
Proven track record of leading, building and managing teams in a diverse environment, as well as strong communications and networking skills.
WHO required competencies:
- Lead, manage and perform in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team;
- Communicate in a credible and effective way;
- Foster integration and teamwork;
- Create an empowering and motivating environment;
- Ensure the effective use of resources;
- Produce results.
Essential: At least seven years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in the application of IT solutions in a professional environment, including at least three years at the international level. Experience working on integrated ERP implementation projects.
Desirable: Experience in a health related or research oriented institution at a managerial level would be an asset.
Excellent knowledge of English or French with very good knowledge of the other language.
All candidates are strongly encouraged to add a cover letter to their online application.
Candidates called for interview may be expected to sit a written test.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates are expected to take place at IARC in Lyon, France, during the week of 6 February 2017.
The selected candidate will ideally take up functions on 3 July 2017, the latest.
IARC/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme and 30 days annual leave. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, assignment grant, rental subsidy and home leave.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
Euros 87 132 at single rate
Euros 93 567 with primary dependants
How to Applyhttps://erecruit.who.int/public/hrd-cl-vac-view.asp?jobinfo_uid_c=34720&vaclng=en
291 total views, 3 today