Full-Time Field Accounting Controller
Field Accounting Controller
The Field Accounting Controller (FAC) is the point of contact for missions for all accounting questions. He/she ensures at headquarters the quality of accounting in the missions. He/she supervises the work done in the field, assuring the quality and the relevance of charges as well as conformance to accounting policies and procedures.
In regards to financial sponsors, he/she monitors the optimization of expenses incurred in the field to assure conformance with financing agreements. He/she coordinates and ensures sponsor-required audits.
He/she provides primarily technical support and related information to the missions. The main person he/she communicates with is the Field Accounting Manager, if there is one, and, if not, the FinCo (Financial Coordinator) and his/her assistant.
The FAC also ensures good communication with the Cell Finance Officer and the team responsible for mission financing strategy.
- Ensures application of OCB accounting rules;
- Serves as a technical guarantor for field accounting supervisors and provides them responses in regards to technical complexities;
- Analyses risk according to context details and defines an appropriate level of control (level of in-place staff, financial volume, accounting set-up, etc.);
- Assures the eligibility, compliance and relevant allocation of expenses (project, contract, financing line, strategic line);
- Ensures the quality of back-up information (paper checks, advances and transfers, including their labelling, simulations, exchange rate, etc.);
- Verifies the allocation and correct validation of expenses paid by headquarters;
- Organizes monthly closings with the missions, fixing closing deadlines in accordance with analysis of mission capacity, assuring respect of deadlines;
- Shares his/her expertise, serves as consultant by communicating good practice to the missions, and assures corrections are made;
- Verifies setting of parameters for projects, third parties, accounting books, budgets, exchange rate, etc.;
- Verifies good application of purchasing rules (authority levels, signatures, advances, etc.);
- Verifies the quality of back-up documentation (paper and/or scanned) and other documentation (Purchase Orders, Request for Proposals/Offers, etc.);
- Verifies good application of Human Resources rules (Homère-Saga, salary changes, per diem payments, etc.);
- Organizes the annual closing with the missions and archiving of accounting reports within planned deadlines;
- Organizes and ensures classification and archiving at headquarters of paper and digital accounting documents;
- Collects and sends to the missions useful documents (bank authorizations, inforeuro, Brussels expense lists, etc.).
- Ensures correct setting of parameters for financing contracts (budget, financial plan, administrative costs, associated accounting codes for line items, etc.);
- Assures the eligibility and rationale of expenses allocated to contracts in order to minimize related financial risk (possible loss of reimbursement);
- Organizes and supervises reporting in order to respect lender deadlines, and transmits reports to appropriate parties;
- Verifies the content and form of intermediate and final financial reports;
- Organizes and follows accounting closing of financial reports;
- Plans and organizes financial report audits (expense lists to be sent to the auditor, documents to be collected, documents to be sent from the field, etc.);
- Collects, verifies, and explains documents required by the auditors including “Belgian” back-up documents.
- Participates in briefings and debriefings of expatriates involved with finance;
- Participates in financial training organized by the department for the missions;
- Assures back-up of his/her colleagues;
- Provides help to his/her colleagues and department as needed.
- Identifies field support needs and establishes terms of reference for support visits in cooperation with the Cell;
- Makes the necessary support visits in accordance with the terms of reference;
- Writes a visit evaluation and ensures implementation of recommendations;
- Participates in the development and implementation of new tools and procedures.
- Advanced training in accounting or economics;
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience;
- Excellent knowledge of computer tools, in particular Excel;
- Organized, precise;
- Capable of working in a team;
- Aware of the humanitarian world and particularly the MSF mission;
- Client orientated;
- Written and spoken French and English;
- Ready to travel to the field.
How to Apply
- Open-ended contract - full time - based in Brussels (Ixelles);
- Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Complementary Retirement plan – Canteen at democratic price – reimbursement (100%) for public transportation costs;
- Starting: immediate.
952 total views, 1 today