Full-Time European Asylum Law Consultant
European Asylum Law Consultant
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking a candidate for the following vacant position: A European Asylum Law Consultant.
The Bureau for Europe (Policy and Legal Support Unit – PLUS) and the Division of International Protection (Protection Policy and Legal Advice section – DIP/PPLA) seek a qualified European Asylum Law Consultant to update and consolidate the UNHCR Manual on the Case Law of the European Regional Courts.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of PLUS and the Head of DIP/PPLA, the Consultant will carry out the following activities:
- Analyse and summarise the most important judgments of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and the Court of Justice of the EU (CJEU) delivered since the end of 2013 and relating the thematic chapters covered in the first edition of the UNHCR Manual on the Case Law of the European Regional Courts (http://www.refworld.org/docid/558803c44.html);
- Drafting additional chapters for the part of the Manual relating to the ECtHR and covering detention, family unity and statelessness ensuring consistency with the existing chapters in terms of format, style and content.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- University degree in law, political sciences, migration studies or similar subject;
- Minimum ten years relevant working experience;
- Working experience in European asylum and human rights law issues;
- Excellent understanding of international instruments relating to refugee protection as well as the relevant case law of the ECtHR and the CJEU;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills;
- Good organizational and communication skills.
Desirable qualifications and competences
- Experience in analysing and summarising ECtHR and CJEU judgments relating to asylum.
How to ApplyFrom mid-October 2016 to mid-April 2017. Flexible working arrangements can be discussed. Interested candidates are invited to fill in the Personal History (P.11) form which can be obtained atwww.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc. Completed forms with a motivation letter in English are to be submitted to Defraite@unhcr.org with “Manual Consultant” in the subject, by 12:00 on 5 October 2016. No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
326 total views, 1 today