Full-Time EU Conflict & Humanitarian Policy Advisor
How can the European Union increase its impact in preventing, responding to and rebuilding after conflicts?
How can Europe act to ensure fundamental human rights and humanitarian principles are upheld?
How would you advise Oxfam work to deliver these outcomes?
Job Purpose – Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Leading the development and the implementation of advocacy strategies designed to influence the humanitarian/conflict policies and practices of the European institutions and key Members States as part of Oxfam’s global strategies for the Confederation;
- Leading the Secretariat in:
- Develop and maintain key relationships within the relevant EU institutions. Lobby politicians and officials, especially in Brussels, based on an agreed contact management strategy;
- Provide analysis and policy development, from an EU perspective on global conflict, disasters and humanitarian campaign and advocacy priorities for Oxfam;
- Prepare policy briefings, letters and presentations and other written materials for internal and external use;
- Organize and manage events in Brussels to support Oxfam’s advocacy objectives;
- Represent Oxfam International in lobby meetings, conferences, consultation meetings and international fora as appropriate;
- Work closely with other humanitarian, development and human rights NGOs and networks in the context of joint advocacy initiatives at EU level;
- Provide tailored information and advice to members of the Oxfam family on EU humanitarian/conflict issues, targets and developments;
- Coordinate key humanitarian/conflict areas of OI advocacy with Oxfam affiliates, particularly in Europe, OI advocacy offices, and allies;
- Manage an information database of contacts relevant to OI’s humanitarian/conflict advocacy at EU level;
- Provide advice and support to Oxfam programs in developing countries that are engaged in EU-related humanitarian/conflict advocacy;
- Organize and manage specific coordination projects within the EU Advocacy office, with Oxfam affiliates and allies.
Key Working Relationships
Reports to Head of OI EU Advocacy office (Brussels).
Key Oxfam teams:
- Head of Humanitarian Campaigning (“Rights in Crisis” -RiC campaign) and Coordinator;
- Oxfam Campaign and Policy Leads on specific crisis (OI RiC priorities at EU level) – e.g. Somalia, OPTI, DRC, South Sudan, Syria, etc.;
- European affiliates colleagues working on OI RiC priorities at EU level;
- Oxfam leads on thematic priorities (e.g. protection, local leadership).
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
Leadership and Management:
- Knowledge of international conflict and humanitarian contexts and main policy processes;
- Excellent knowledge of EU decision making processes and relevant EU institutions (ways of working, agendas, and how to influence them);
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively;
- Track record in policy influencing towards governments and/or international institutions;
- Effective negotiation abilities and informal leadership skills in a multi-stakeholder, network environment;
- Demonstrable organizational and project management skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects to deadlines in a complex institutional setting.
- Excellent communication skills for lobbying and media work, diplomatic approach when needed and awareness of political sensitivities;
- Strong inter-personal skills, and ability to work well and flexibly in hard-working teams, including teams working across countries and time-zones, while also able to take initiative and work under pressure with limited supervision;
- Knowledge of or experience of various types of influencing, including media, popular mobilisation/public campaigning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to write substantial pieces of analysis;
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- French or Spanish – highly desirable.
- The post-holder must have the legal right to be employed in Belgium;
- Short-term international travel will be required.
Oxfam International is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.
How to ApplyTo Apply: go to https://www.oxfam.org/en/jobs/secretariat vacancy Search and click on EU Conflict & Humanitarian Policy Advisor. Closing date: Sunday 13th November 2016 @ 23:00 GMT Interviews: Last fortnight of November (date tbc) at Oxfam International’s Brussels office
540 total views, 1 today