Full-Time Development Officer
Role & Responsibilities
Develop and expand Medair’s presence in German-speaking Switzerland to resource Medair with private funding, prayer support, and HR-led recruitment initiatives. Providing high quality services such as summaries of project proposals/reports and other communication means to ensure increasing funding revenue from foundations and corporates. Thank you management for Middle / Major donors in German speaking Switzerland.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. These teams are together responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
- In coordination with the team, summarising project proposals and reports into a donor friendly format, adding pictures and quotes to submit to private foundations and major donors.
- Translate English or French documents into German or coordinate with the external translator and proofread the documents and ensure high quality in German.
- Clarify questions and gaps in the proposals/reports with relevant colleagues in the International Department.
- Write cover letters to apply for grants and thank you letters for foundations.
Thank You Management
- Establish a process of thank you management for private Middle Donors.
- Write thank you letters according to the restriction of the donations.
- Call donors to express appreciation and thank them for their gifts.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with donors.
Attend Medair Events & External Conferences
- As part of the team participate at Medair events to promote Medair and attract people; help organise and connect with the audiences.
- Occasionally attend external conferences for networking purposes and gaining insight.
General Support for the Zurich Office
- General administrative support to the Zurich team.
- Uphold Medair values and contribute to the wellbeing of the team as an active member.
International Headquarters & Affiliate Offices – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Studies in a relevant field preferably in communication, fundraising or development/ humanitarian work.
- Fluent in German (spoken and written).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Fluency in Swiss German and French (spoken and written) desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- Experience of working in a communication or fundraising department with close connection to field work.
- Overseas experience in a humanitarian/development project at least for a few months.
- Experience in relationships fundraising desirable.
- Experience in proposal/report writing to submit and report to donors like foundations desirable.
- Excellent writing skills, able to bring things to the point in an inspiring manner.
- Understanding of international context and humanitarian field work.
- Good coordination and prioritisation skills.
- Ability to connect/interact with diverse audiences.
- Works well in a multicultural environment and under pressure.
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Able to work in a multicultural team.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
- A motivating work environment.
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- This is a HQ based position in Lausanne Switzerland.
How to Apply**Application Process** Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/development-officer-ch-zh
- and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile)
376 total views, 1 today