Full-Time Consular and Passports Officer
Consular and Passports Officer
(one year fixed term contract to cover maternity leave)
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
About the position
The Australian Embassy in Brussels is seeking a dynamic person to perform a customer service role as Consular and Passports Officer for one year to cover maternity leave. The successful applicant will be required to commence in the position from June 2017. The job is responsible for the provision of consular and passport services to Australian citizens in Belgium and Luxembourg. The role also provides other administrative duties as part of the team providing corporate services support to diplomatic and other staff.
The Embassy is looking for a person who:
- is flexible, can balance busy and high pressure periods with everyday routine and manage their own workload;
- is confident in communicating with the public and with all levels of an organisation;
- works well in a team, is motivated, positive and willing to take on any task;
- has good judgment and understands the importance of confidentiality.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide consular services to Australian citizens in Belgium and Luxembourg ;
- Provide passport services to Australian citizens including initial enquiries, conducting interviews, processing applications and monitoring progress of passport applications;
- Provide timely advice and reporting on consular cases;
- Liaise with and maintain relationships with government and private sector contacts;
- Maintain consular and passport records, statistics, databases and filing systems;
- Provide other administrative support as required.
- Relevant knowledge or experience in customer services and office management;
- Knowledge of Belgian and Australian Government services, systems, policies and processes;
- High level written and spoken English communication skills;
- Very good French language skills are essential. Dutch language skills could be advantageous.
Training appropriate to the position will be provided.
The position is at the LE4 level with a gross monthly salary for this role of EUR 3,841.24 plus holiday pay and Christmas bonus.
The position is 37.5 hours per week and after hours duty is sometimes required at short notice. Flexibility is critical for this role and the successful applicant will be required to be contactable after hours on a work phone. The position commences in June 2017.
The successful applicant’s employment will be regulated by the laws of Belgium. The Australian Fair Work Act 2009 is not intended to apply to the employment of locally engaged staff.
All applicants are welcome but ideally the successful candidate should already have the right to work in the EU (e.g. via dual nationality of any EU country). The Embassy of Australia in Brussels will not be responsible for any costs incurred associated with relocation, accommodation, work permits and visa costs, nor the return of the officer and/or family to their country of origin at the end of the contract.
Candidates should provide a two-page maximum supporting statement, a CV and the name and contact details of two referees, one of which whom should be a recent supervisor.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to undertake a short writing skills test.
How to ApplyApplications close at 17:00 (Brussels time) on Monday 27 March and should be sent by email to: email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Australian Embassy thanks all applicants in advance for their applications and regrets it is not in a position to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
735 total views, 1 today