Internship Communication Internship
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to promote climate and energy policies that greatly reduce Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions and to help Europe play a stronger international leadership role in mitigating climate change. The ECF is part of the international ClimateWorks Network (CWN) that shares goals, strategies and resources to address the global challenge of climate change mitigation as part of a global network of aligned organisations. It is funded by major multi-year commitments from donors in Europe and the United States. The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm, and mutual support.
The Strategic Communications Team
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is the outreach unit of the European Climate Foundation. Its role is to act as a center of expertise for communication on climate change. Its objective is to help create political, media and public endorsement for strong action to address climate change at an international, national and sector level. It applies its communications expertise and resources to ensure that climate change issues are objectively and accurately reported and debated in the public space. The Strategic Communications Team delivers communications and advocacy services to ECF grantees and partners and builds this capacity in the climate community.
The Position – Communications Internship
The Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for an enthusiastic individual to gain professional experience in climate change communications as a “Communications Intern”. This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate/young professional with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the way they are interpreted and reported in the media. As part of the media team, the candidate will work in the ECF’s Brussels Office in support of all programmes and projects of the ECF.
Assignments can vary depending on the strategic needs of the organisation, but the intern’s responsibilities will include some of the following tasks:
- Working with the media team to support the international communications and media needs of the ECF and its grantees;
- Contributing to the development and delivery of effective outreach strategies to drive progressive EU policy-making in the climate and energy field;
- Making full use of IT and new media tools to disseminate the messaging of ECF projects and the work of its grantees further;
- Supporting the development of the internal communications database at the structural and content level and making sure its contacts are up-to-date;
- Monitoring of the news agenda and regular reporting on coverage;
- Maintaining a dynamic calendar of ECF activity and external events to enhance communications planning;
- Planning, promotion and coordination of conferences and events;
- Other ad hoc research work and administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate will have the following practical qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and values of the ECF;
- Fast-learning self-starter comfortable in a fast-paced international environment;
- Professional experience and/or academic background in the fields of communications, energy, environmental issues, EU/international affairs or public policy;
- Media-savvy with proven experience in writing/editing;
- Excellent IT skills and up to speed with the latest online communication tools;
- Displays enthusiasm to help reframe the public and media debate around the issue of climate change;
- Appreciates the vital role of administrative tasks;
- Ability to work both in a team and independently;
- Superior English written and verbal communication skills are essential; knowledge of other EU languages welcome.
What we offer
With this opportunity, we offer:
- An exciting international working environment;
- Valuable first-hand professional experience and development;
- On-the-job mentoring to help you develop your skills;
- An introduction to the ECF’s vast network of connections in the field;
- A sense of satisfaction from contributing to the global climate debate;
- Compensation in line with internship opportunities at EU institutions;
- Temporary contract of 6 months.
How to ApplyPlease send a CV and a short cover letter in English explaining why you think you would be suited to the role, as well as your response to the below exercise by 11 January 2016 by email to: SMO-InternMedia@Europeanclimate.org. Please use the following format in the subject line: CommsInternship_Firstname_Surname. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates must be in possession of valid work permit for Belgium and available to start immediately.
Exercise:Summarize the key findings of the following report in three tweets.
769 total views, 2 today