Full-Time Alumni Relations Officer
Alumni Relations Officer
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 14 May 2017
Reference Number: HD_01074
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world with 1600 employees, from more than 80 countries, operating across six sites in Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Monterotondo (near Rome), Hinxton (near Cambridge) and Barcelona.
EMBL has created this new position as an important part of its commitment to grow the current alumni engagement programme. This is an exciting opportunity to work at an international institute, across multiple sites, and to make a meaningful difference in understanding the needs of EMBL, and advancing these through alumni resources. The post-holder will be part of the dynamic alumni team, which works closely with the wider group of advancement professionals at EMBL to share ideas and partner on initiatives, projects and events throughout Europe and beyond.
The post-holder will interact pro-actively with colleagues across the institution to engage EMBL’s >7000 alumni in support of a wide range of strategic objectives. He/she will be expected to plan and organise alumni events and support and contribute to the general activities of the Alumni Relations programme, and will report to the Head of Alumni Relations.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities of the Role:
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer programme which reflect the mission of the organization;
- Design policies that promote quality control and manage any risks associated with the volunteer programme;
- Collaborate with colleagues across the institution to identify assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and support the mission of the organisation;
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills;
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training and supervision to be successful in their positions;
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition and stewardship activities to recognise the contribution of volunteers to the organisation;
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers;
- Maintain close relations with EMBL’s fundraising team, to establish and maintain complementarity between this work and volunteering;
- Engage with colleagues at peer institutions to benchmark EMBL’s work in this area, to ensure that EMBL is in line with sector best practice, and to showcase EMBL’s successes as appropriate;
- Propose, confirm, monitor and measure key performance indicators in relation to the volunteer programme, including measurement of impact where this is appropriate and possible.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree plus minimum three years’ experience in management, events organisation and the delivery of volunteer engagement;
- Ability to engage with, and enthuse, a wide range of people, including alumni, institutional leaders, the wider scientific community, and colleagues across the sector;
- Excellent project management and organisational skills;
- Fluent English in written and oral capacity is mandatory. Other important languages for EMBL sites as German, French, Italian and Spanish would be an asset;
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends approximately 8 times per year;
- Competence in a range of information technology applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint. CRM database experience as well as web editing will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Application InstructionsPlease apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
Additional InformationEMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organization with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family, and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus. Heidelberg, the headquarters location, offers an exceptional standard of living, together with superb wider employment and education opportunities. Interviews are planned for 27th May and 2nd June. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
378 total views, 2 today