Full-Time Administrative Officer – Purchase & Budget
Administrative Officer – Purchase & Budget
Staff Category: Staff member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 4, 5 or 6, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 11 June 2017
Reference Number: BA_00004
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK), Monterotondo (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
The new site EMBL Barcelona is being established in the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), one of the largest infrastructures in Southern Europe dedicated to translational research and which is located on the Mediterranean coast of north-eastern Spain.
We are looking for a Purchase & Budget Officer joining the administrative team to be built in Barcelona. The tasks of the team cover purchase, budget, scientific grants management, staff liaison, travel arrangements, meetings and conference organisation. The successful candidate will have special responsibility for purchasing and budget control and is supposed to liaise closely with the respective departments in EMBL Heidelberg. In the first months, the candidate will be mostly dealing with purchasing activities.
Tasks will include:
- Solicitation and evaluation of quotes;
- Ordering consumables, equipment and services ensuring that EMBL’s Financial Rules and Regulations are met throughout all stages of the process;
- Negotiating with suppliers and interacting with them concerning orders, deliveries and invoices;
- Conducting market research and evaluating suppliers and quotes to ensure goods and services are procured at a competitive price and delivered in a timely manner;
- Advising the groups on procurement issues, placing orders and following up the procurement process through to delivery;
- Dealing with import procedures and producing related documents;
- Receiving goods and placing goods entry in SAP;
- Creating a small storage for laboratory consumables, stationary and general office equipment and supplies;
- Being responsible for the year-end inventory;
- Supporting ad-hoc requests on grant management and financial aspects;
- Prepare and monitor internal budgets and advising budget holders on the status of expenditure;
- Provide local SAP support for users;
- Contribute to audit inspection as required;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Administration.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate should have a university degree in Business Administration, Procurement, Finance or equivalent and at least 3 years relevant working experience, preferably in an international environment. The position will require multi-tasking competences and a natural ability to deal with people of different nationalities in a friendly manner. The postholder should demonstrate a high motivation, flexibility and have a „start-up“ mentality. Furthermore, the postholder should have the following competences:
- Very good general administrative and organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills in order to build and maintain good relationships with suppliers and liaise effectively with both management and staff;
- Service-orientated attitude;
- Very good negotiation skills;
- Solid team work experience;
- Self-initiative and the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- Very good knowledge of and user proficiency in MS Office and Internet;
- Sound knowledge of and user proficiency of SAP MM module or any other equivalent software is required;
- Fluency in English and Spanish is essential. An excellent command of spoken and written Spanish is required in order to deal effectively with local companies and partners;
- Although not essential, previous experience gained from working within a scientific environment and a sound knowledge of the research branch suppliers of the local market would be an asset.
How to Apply
Application InstructionsPlease apply online through www.embl.org/jobs. Interviews are planned for 21th, 22nd and 23rd June 2017.
Additional InformationEMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
453 total views, 2 today